Followers

Sunday 7 June 2009

World Wide Knitting in Public Day


As next Saturday is World Wide Knitting in Public Day I have added a knitted pattern for a change

Knitted Blue Flowers
Yarn DK or worsted weight
I used:
Patons Linen DK in blue and yellow

Tension/ Gauge 30sts X 22 rows = 10cm(4inches) X 10cm
Size 4mm(UK)/ size 6 (USA) needles

Abbreviations:
k = knit
p = purl
kfb = Knit into the front and back of the stitch (this is an increase)
k2tog = Knit two stitches together as one stitch
sts = stitches
st = stitch

Pattern:
Using blue yarn (or colour of choice)
Cast on 1 st
Row 1 (RS): kfb (2sts)
Row 2 (WS): p2
Row 3: kfb 2 times (4sts)
Row 4: p4
Row 5: kfb, k2, kfb (6sts)
Row 6: p6
Row 7: kfb, k1, kfb 2 times, k1, kfb (10sts)
Row 8: p10
Row 9: k10
Row 10: p10
Row 11: k10
Row 12: p10
Row 13: k10
Row 14: p10 Break yarn leaving a length to sew in neatly do not cast off, leave on needle ( do not knit on until row 15)

Make 4 more petals (don't break yarn off last)

With all 5 petals finished and on same needle (50sts)

Row 15: k50
Row 16 k50 Change to yellow yarn (or colour of choice)
Row 17: k50
Row 18: k2tog 25 times (25sts)
Row 19: k2tog 12 times, k1 (13sts)
Row 20: p13
Row 21: k2tog 6 times, k1 (7 sts)
Row 22: p7 cut yarn leaving a long length to use for gathering and sewing up Thread the yarn onto a needle and insert through remaining 7 stitches. Pull yarn firmly Repeat going back through all 7 stitches again (as photos below) this will make a nice firm centre. Sew up sides.and weave in all ends


26 comments:

  1. Lovely pattern Im going to make a few for gifts.Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful flower. I think I will try this one. I am new back to knitting so may not be successful but it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pattern. I linked to it on my blog...
    (if you don't want me to copy your photo there, I'll remove it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute - I think Im going to try this out -thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen,Thanks for sharing this beautiful pattern. It will make lovely gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Michelle happy you added a knitted flower have made 2 as gifts thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great in progress photos. It is always helpful to see exactly how the construction is supposed to happen. This flower is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this design is great! I love it! It makes great gifts, and the directions are extremely simple to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i liked this pattern..even i tried this.and i put it in the hall..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i liked this pattern..even i tried this.and i put it in the hall..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OLÁ,
    PARABÉNS PELOS TRABALHOS.
    VISITE MEU BLOG:
    www.fiosdeluz-li.blogspot.com.br

    HELLO,
    CONGRATULATIONS FOR WORK.
    VISIT MY BLOG:
    www.fiosdeluz-li.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am looking for a flower that can be felted for a purse I am knitting. Will this work?
    Quite beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barbara

    Yes I have felted this flower for a bag and it work well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the fabulous idea of knitting the center last. I usually work my flowers the other way: from the center out, but I plan to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute....your Blog.If you don't mind, I'll link it in my blog.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, thanks for this pattern, I was looking for something to finish and add interest to a shawl. A row of these each end will be perfect.
    Such a useful detail piece for adding to other work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi from Chile, southamerica... thanks a lot for your pattern... I'm just learning to knit and finally I found a flower really easy to knit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome flower.. an easy knit and no big sewing..so excited to use on my projects thank you for posting..!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bellisimi fiori , si possono avere le spiegazioni in italiano?, grazie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knitted this and it turned out super cute.. I then felted it and it still held it shape really well ... This pattern is easy and makes a pretty flower.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How did u get those lovely tabs at the the top

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi, this is a lovely pattern, I would like to use it to make some brooches out of fair trade yarn to sell for charity, would that be ok? (I'm planning to use recycled sari yarn for a variegated effect)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Erica

    If its for charity that would be OK what charity is it for?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the great pattern. New to knitting and this is definitely the prettiest flat stitch flower I've found. Thinking about making a whole bouquet for my Mom for Mother'a Day. Even as a newbie, I did this in just a couple of hours. Thank you for such clear instructions.

    ReplyDelete